Monday, November 03, 2008

How does your garden grow: November

Time to cut down the sunflowers!



I went out and checked them. We were supposed to wait for the back of their heads to turn brown (if no rain) and then cut them off and put them someplace to dry.

You can read more about it here.




T2 takes ownership over these babies. He loves how tall they grow and mostly he loves to chop them down!

He yells "TIMMMMMBER!!!"



The chickies were happy with our offering.




Blossom looked on in hopes of some sort of a handout.



These are the ones we saved.




I brushed off the yellow blossoms. Aren't they amazing to look at? It can make you a little dizzy.



This is what the garden looks like now. All that is left are two tomato plants. Those tomato cages my husband built are so nice. I had another tomato plant that didn't have a cage and it's been long since mushy and demolished without having the support. With the cages I've noticed I am getting alot more tomatoes and stretching out the season.

I let my son chop them all down and then cut or rip off the leaves and left them in the garden as a winter mulch. He collected the stalks and took most of them to the burn pile (or that was the plan anyway).

He showed me a long, straight stalk and said, "Mama, this is my stout cudgel!"

I guess that's from a Henty book? I don't know?

We put the sunflower heads in the shop on the straw bales to dry. I'll let you know what happens next. I've never done this before. If it doesn't work out, the chickens will be happy to clean them up for us.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that first picture you posted. Love it! --Sue

Debra said...

Thanks Sue. I was fixated on it for awhile. ;o)

God's creation is amazing! And all of this from one single seed.

Anonymous said...

"Stout Cudgel" is used often. The Rat "took one up" when he went into the Wild Wood in search of the Mole in The Wind in the Willows, it was in In Freedom's Cause by G.A. Henty, and also in Men of Iron by Howard Pyle, where the Smith says "...rather would I ha' a good stout cudgel in my hand than the best dagger that ever was forged."

The boys have read/heard it often, and a stout cudgel is a handy thing :)

Love you!