Why? How could I be surprised by something that comes so regularly? I know they are coming...but I guess I just don't want to plan for them to come. I want to do what *I* want to do. So then, it's always a mad dash to 'whip something up'. And frankly, it still is. I won't say I have learned and don't let that happen anymore. I will say, I am making an effort to change my habits.
I've started at least printing out a weekly meal plan and sort of filling it out. That helps, but I also don't like to commit to a certin plan. It seems when I do, I just can't make it work. But like I said, I'm in the process. I made my own, but you might find a form to print out at Donna Young's site.
Something that has helped is just making 'something' every couple of days. Something for the kids to grab and snack on. Cornbread, muffins, plain cake. I'm been thinking of different reasons that this is a good thing.
1. I am using ingredients in my pantry, it doesn't cost me anything extra usually. They are simple bulk ingredients.
2. The green factor is that because I am making things from scratch, I am not buying processed foods with preservatives and extra packaging to throw away.
3. It makes our home feel the way I think a home should feel, with good smells of nourishing foods. It trains the kids to think that real food is real food. I don't want them to grow up on packaged food.
4. I can use this time to teach my kids how to do actual things.
I'm not a very patient person. Just ask my parents, sister, husband or worse yet, my children. I hate that. I want to be the perfect Mama, but I fall short so often. In the past, (and probably in the future) I didn't really include the boys in my 'work'. I would shoo them away so I could do what I needed to do. But I have begun to make a concerted effort to change that.Why should my kids be busied with toys and play when they would rather be with me, helping, working, cleaning, doing chores. They really would rather. When I get them interested in playing, they resent being 'interrupted' from their play in order to help me or do some chore. And won't they be better equipped for life with skills that they have, rather than playtime? Those are the people I want my kids to be. To have genuine skills, to be helpful and handy people.
So, I've been biting my tongue when my daughter asks me, "Can I help you make that Mama?" I try to smile and say, "Sure honey", pick her up and plop her on the counter beside me and let her...do something!
Eeeeek!
Honestly, it's hard for me. I want to just grab the spoon and do it myself. It's done quickly. No spillage.
But, she is improving. She needs to do it herself. She needs practice. And she LOVES it.
The other day, she was telling me that when she grows up and is a Mama, she will cook food and teach her daughter to cook food. That made me smile.
What about you? In what ways do you include your children in your work?
5 comments:
Okay... what's in the bowl? What were the muffins, too? They looked yummy. I have been trying to make more homemade treats, too. Have you tried the cornflake cookies? I can't stop making them and I'm not sure if it's just me or if other people like them, too!
That was kidney beans soaking for Taco Soup the next day. The little one was playing in the water, stirring and scooping.
The muffins were coconut blueberry. They were made with coconut flour.
I haven't made the cornflake cookies because I don't want to buy a box of cornflakes I guess ($$) Have you been making them a lot?
Go to http://a-friend-to-knit-with.blogspot.com/2007/02/cookies-and-aprons.html
This gal has a lot of great looking cookie recipes on her blog. But there is no label, so you just have to browse back in time to see them. But it's worth it.
We made Mountain Bars last night. (from the family cookbook)
Yum!
I've been making them a lot because I happen to have a big box of cornflakes! What do you eat for breakfast? I can't imagine having to cook breakfast every morning. My life is crazy enough having to worry about lunch and dinner.
Breakfast is touch and go at times. We have a few stand bys: Toast, oatmeal, fruit drink (in which I put protein powder, flax meal, flax oil and now lecithin). Other breakfast which take more energy are: scones, (nice to make up the dry ingredients the night before and then whip them up in the morning) bacon, sausage, eggs.
Then there is always fruit too. Lately it's been oranges.
That sounds like so much WORK! I made blueberry pancakes for breakfast yesterday and I CAN'T stand having to clean my kitchen first thing in the morning. UGH. All I want to have to do is put four cereal bowls in the dishwasher. Seriously.
Post a Comment