Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Mama's Homemade Fast food

Firstly, I would like to apologize. If you are hungry, go grab something healthy first like a boiled egg or a spoonful of cod liver oil, then come back.

No really.

I'll wait...



Okay, you're back and you're NOT hungry?

You may continue with caution.





Have you ever bought those little packages of cookie dough, in the refrigerator section of the store? You know, they're ready to pop into the oven for 'fresh homemade' cookies for the busy family on the go?

You probably don't even know what I'm talking about because you grind your own wheat and make everything from scratch I know, but maybe you've at least heard of them.

I made a large batch of chocolate chip cookie dough the other day. I decided to make my own convenience food for another day because if I didn't, we all would have gorged on the cookie dough and had nothing to show for it by morning.

You've been there.

Come on ... admit it.





I stuffed 2 quart sized freezer bags (yes I used plastic!) with dough and spread it evenly throughout the bag and layed them flat in the freezer. They looked pretty cool to me. Eye candy if you will.

Fast forward to right before lunch today. I pulled this bag out of the freezer and started cutting with my lovely Cutco knife. I just cut through the plastic bag, then peeled it off and tossed before I started cutting into squares.



Hey...what happened?






Yes, I ate it.





Is that not beautiful?







These would make delicious and I dare say, "fancy" hors d'oeuvres at any upscale party or restaurant. Maybe we should open our own restaurant...we could just sell cookie dough squares.

Now watch someone do it and make a mil.




Objects are larger than they appear...at least in calories.





Granted, these are a dangerous staple to keep in the house.




Or freezer.

Midnight snack anyone?



For more Works for Me Wednesday tips, go to Rocks in my Dryer.


11 comments:

Daisy Path said...

that is so smart!!!! i personally do NOT like those store bought brands. i think they taste completely processed. this is a great idea.
mindy

Debra said...

Mindy,

You should try it. It's delish!

Voorhees Family said...

LoL!! You made me laugh while reading your blog!! Yes, what a great idea. I definitely think I'm gong to do this. We have the same problem you have at your house, cookie dough monsters. If I made the dough when no ones looking and then froze it, maybe we'll actually have cookies to eat when I'm done :)

The Momster said...

That is an incredible idea - and with all my cookie baking, I never thought of it - oh how my local Kroger isn't going to like you ... :)

Gotta go check the pantry for supplies! We're having cookies tomorrow!

Great post!!!

Unknown said...

I love your post! I think my batch would be missing more than one!

This is a great idea - I will have to try it. Thanks!

Superchikk said...

I do the same thing - I make a batch of dough and freeze about 2/3 of it. Except I use a cookie scoop, scoop the dough into a plasic (gasp!) gladware type container, and pop in the freezer. Then I can pull out four or so at a time (or one for that cookie dough craving) and there's no more prep involved.

Debra said...

Lisa, Trust me, mine was missing WAY more than one! But the picture wouldn't have been as interesting.

Superchikk,
That is a great idea. That way they are ready to go, no cutting. Great tip. Thanks!

Bethany said...

Those look soooo good! What a great idea! Hope you're having a great day, Debra!

Debra said...

Thanks Bethany. I am. You have a great day yourself!

We're going camping this weekend and trying to get ready.

Big James said...

My son and daughter would want to make them daily, or at least every other day. We can't let that happen.

Debra said...

No James, you CAN'T let that happen.

They are soooooo good though.

Save them for special occasions I guess.