I was inspired to study the Reformers this week by Cindy over at Dominion Family. You really should head over and read her explanation. I love her blog.
So, since I honestly know nothing about the reformers, I decided today was the day to start learning about them and stop feeling dumb about it. So we read about Martin Luther in Trial and Triumph. It was shocking what the catholic church used to tell the poor folks.
The church preyed on the people's fear of purgatory, a place which the roman church taught existed between heaven and hell, where christians after death were punished for their sins and purified for heaven. They would remind the people of their poor dead relatives, telling them to hear them calling from purgatory and asking them for pity. "Will you not drop a few coins into the box and open the door of heaven to us?"
"As soon as the coin in the coffer rings, the soul from purgatory springs!"
The people would rush forward, empty their pockets and run home with their letters of 'indulgence' the guarantee of forgiveness from the church.
Martin Luther tried to reason with the people by preaching that sinners are made right before God by faith in Christ alone, but many people who were ignorant of the Bible at that time accepted without question the Roman church's teaching. They believed they would find forgiveness through indulgences, prayers to saints and the veneration of relics (bits of bones, hair and teeth from the bodies of dead saints). Eewww!?
Luther declared the teaching of the church and sale of indulgences a sham. He proclaimed "Christ alone can forgive sins. The pope has no power to forgive or to free souls from purgatory. If he had such power why does he not release everyone from purgatory at once? Why does he not do it free of charge?"
Good point Luther.
On Halloween 1517, Luther wrote a list of 95 Theses accusing the Roman Catholic church of heresy upon heresy and nailed them to the door of the Castle Church in Wittenburg, Germany. That makes this week a perfect week to study Luther!
Finally, a good reason to celebrate on Halloween! You probably already knew all this. I'm the last one to the party. Where have I been?
Did you know that he wrote the Hymn "A Mighty Fortress is our God"? I'm going to add it to our family hymnal. (I need to post about that soon.)
I think we will read more on Mr. Luther all week and have my children give a little narration to Papa on Friday. I am also going to have the kids try to draw his portrait. If by some chance you have your kids draw his picture, send me a picture and I'll post them. That could be fun! I think I will try to draw him too.
You?
You?

Come on!!
You can find many more of his pictures here. Cindy wondered what modern day actor most resembled Martin Luther.
I said Gérard Depardieu.
Who do you think?
3 comments:
Debra,
I always get him mixed up with that other Gerard from The Count of Monte Cristo. But I think you nailed it dead-on.
Hi Debra,
Thank you for this article on Martin Luther this week! Here is a great offer: Ligonier Ministries is GIVING AWAY LEATHER BOUND REFORMATION STUDY BIBLES for donations of any amount now through Friday, October 31 (retail value $69.99, while supplies last). Check it out!: http://www.ligonier.org/blog/. We have so much to learn from the reformers.
Also, you and your readers may want to check out the following website; it contains a treasure trove of puritan writings all for free: http://www.puritansermons.com/
God bless you and your family today and thank you for such a thought-provoking blog. Yours is my favorite site!
Thanks Maria, that's a great tip!
See you soon.
Post a Comment