Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A cider birthday party

Our T2 had a birthday. We always have one present for the birthday child to open in the morning as soon as they wake up. Usually it is sitting at the foot of their bed...usually. Then the birthday child brings their present in on our big bed so we all watch them open it.

This birthday was on a weekend, so we had chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast served on the "You are Special" plate.




A newly constructed (at two in the morning) crown for our second Treasure.




We happen to have a very old cider press from my parents at our house. We thought this was a perfect time for a cider party too.



This is real country livin' folks. Organic apples...bugs and all!




The old-fashioned way.





There was a treasure hunt and soccer game outside with taco soup in the crockpot for dinner later on that evening. Another pleasant party.




This is what I found on our dry erase board the next morning. He wrote "The end" about his 8th year. How cute and how sad.

3 comments:

Danielle Shirley said...

So do you have your own apple trees? My mom is looking into growing an organic orchard, but we aren't sure about it yet. We want dwarf ones, and of course we won't spray them, so does that mean most of them will get eaten by the bugs?

Anonymous said...

I agree with you saying "how sad" about little boys leaving their 8th year of life behind . . . my oldest turned 9 this month also and I feel the same way you do.

On another note, you take the most beautiful photos for your blog. Thanks for sharing them!

Debra said...

Danielle,

Yes, we have our own apple trees and they are dwarfs. We need to do a better job of pruning them back this year because we ended up with a TON of tiny apples. (great for cider, not so great for peeling)

Some have bugs, some do not. I think there are things you can do besides spraying, more natural pesticides. I have always had organic apple trees with some buggy apples and never cared a bit. I love the bugs. That lets me know they are good and healthy.


Mrs. Maria,

Thank you for your kind comment. I LOVE capturing what I see. I can't hold back time, but at least we can look back on the year he was 8.

{Snif. Snif.}