Saturday, October 11, 2008

Ashland Scones

This morning it was a beautiful fall morning. Cold, crisp and sunny.

I was up first because Jack was whining to be let out. I let him out and decided to walk down and let the chickens out. I like that. It's a peaceful treat.

When I came back the house was warm and quiet. I had the desire to make something a little special or different because it was Saturday and we were all going to be home together. It felt like a vacation morning...you know that feeling?

To enhance the 'it's Christmas' sort of feeling I made a batch of chocolate chip cookies and then some Ashland Scones.

Lastly I brewed coffee.

Now you have a very 'vacationy' feeling for your husband and kids to wake up to. Or at least the, "it's good to be home" feeling...hopefully.








Ashland Scones


3 c. flour, plus 3 T
1/2 c. sugar
5 tsp. baking powder
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. raisins
1 egg
10 T. milk
1 egg yolk
1 T. milk
2 T. sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together first three ingredients, then add butter slices to flour mixture and, using a pastry blender, mix flour and butter until completely crumbly. Add raisins and mix. In a small separate bowl, mix 1 egg and 10 Tablespoons milk. Pour into the flour/raisin mixture and mix until completely moistened and dough is formed. It will be a slightly dry dough ball. Roll out with a rolling pin to 3/4-inch thickness. Cut dough with a 2-1/2 inch biscuit cutter. Place each dough round on an insulated cookie sheet which has been lightly sprayed with a cooking spray. Make an egg wash with the remaining yolk and 1 Tablespoon of milk. Using a pastry brush, brush the top of each round with egg wash and then generously sprinkle tops with remaining sugar. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown on top.

Enjoy with afternoon coffee and tea, or as a breakfast brunch treat topped with your favorite jam.




or in your pajamas with a good book.

No comments: