We started with 42 eggs and ended up with 32 chicks. We used the dry incubation method with a Little Giant Still Air Incubator 9200 but ours has a fan and we also got an egg turner with it.
I had a strange epiphany while watching all these chicks hatch and then collecting all the empty egg shells to throw away. Earlier that day I had cut open a cantalope and a delicata squash. I was commenting to the kids how many seeds God has given us inside of just one fruit. There are dozens of seeds that I have previously taken for granted. Each one of them is a miraculous gift from God to us. Each seed has the potential to grow more than one fruit with thousands and thousands of seeds for future fruit.
Just like the fruit, these eggs that we could have eaten, were now another endless supply of eggs. These eggs could have fed us, but now they were a chicken that will lay many, many more eggs which could become more chickens...add infinity.
It's such a beautiful gift that I have taken for granted. And a few more points about eggs:
- They are pre-packaged in single-sized servings
- They need no refrigeration if eaten in a reasonable time period
Wouldn't a few chickens have been extremely useful back before Walmart existed? God made this creature to provide a family with a daily amount of protein, sort of like manna. Just enough for the day, made fresh daily and you have (get) to go out and collect them.
Wasn't that nice of Him?
These 42 eggs that we could have eaten for breakfast...
became these 32 chickens with endless egg laying possibilities.
1 comment:
How amazing, so many hatched!! That is truly a gift from god. Did any of the greens eggs hatch? They are so cute! I am sure your son is so proud.
Post a Comment