Friday, September 26, 2008

She has a dream

This is Mrs. Brown.
She is one of two Mrs. Browns' that we have.

We have two Bovan Brown chickens that we can't tell apart, so I just call them both Mrs. Brown. They're interchangeable. They are the friendliest chickens. I love them. They are always the first to come running up to us. They also seem to be the most curious. Since we have let the chickens free-range, the Brown ladies seem to venture farther than all the rest, investigating new areas.

The other day I was taking some of the jars of pickles I've canned out to the shop. As I walked into the shop I heard a fluttering. It scared me a little, I thought it might be a rat. I looked around and all of a sudden Mrs. Brown jumped out of an old dresser my husband uses for tools. There is one drawer missing.



It cracked me up to see her perched on the drawer. What was she doing in there?



Upon further inspection it all became clear.
Do you see it?
She was setting on a bag of golf balls!

Poor baby.

She's trying!




She's so nice. I took this picture of her with my right hand as I cradled her in my left arm.

Is that not the cutest and saddest thing? It reminds me of The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck by Beatrix Potter.


Listen to the story of Jemima Puddle-duck, who was annoyed because the farmer's wife would not let her hatch her own eggs.

Her sister-in-law, Mrs. Rebeccah Puddle-duck, was perfectly willing to leave the hatching to some one else—"I have not the patience to sit on a nest for twenty-eight days; and no more have you, Jemima. You would let them go cold; you know you would!"

"I wish to hatch my own eggs; I will hatch them all by myself," quacked Jemima Puddle-duck.

She tried to hide her eggs; but they were always found and carried off.
Jemima Puddle-duck became quite desperate. She determined to make a nest right away from the farm.

You can follow the link and read the entire story, but I will leave you with something to ponder.

How does she button her cloak and tie her bonnet?

Hmmm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my, how cute and sweet is that? Golf balls? I guess there are about the right size.

Anonymous said...

No wonder you haven't been knitting. You're really into your chickens so who has time to knit?? --Sue