Sunday, September 21, 2008

Our weekend

Don't ask me.

I have no idea how this happened. She was in the trailer playing with her cousin and came out like this.





We went camping last weekend. It was a good time. We always try to bring some good books when we go anywhere. In a rush, I brought our Beatrix Potter Treasury. I also threw in Papa's Bible and Ben Hur, the book he is reading aloud to the boys.

In Ms. Potter's tales we laughed at the impertinence of Squirrel Nutkin's actions toward Old Brown, and Ginger and Pickles trying not to eat their customers and eventually going out of business because they allowed people (or animals rather) to buy on credit. If you don't any of these books and you have small children, please get them. These are beautifully illustrated and don't use dumbed down vocabulary to tell these interesting stories.



Our oldest son really took charge this weekend. I went early with the kids and he packed the van, set up the tent, etc. He is seeming less and less like a boy everyday.



The campfire is always the best part isn't it? We roasted many hot dogs and marshmallows.



This is what Jack does to us. When I'm at the computer, he will come up and hang his head over my knee like this. I think it's his way of cuddling or hugging or just being 'close'.



We walked under a beautiful water fall.



And of course, took many pictures.





Unfortunately, it rained Saturday night. Sunday we had lots of mud as we packed up.



Honestly, I don't know.

We came home and son set up the tent to dry.



I got hung up in the garden after unpacking. I picked the ripe tomatoes before the chickens get them. Then picked the green beans and started the canning process. It really is fall now. My husband built our first fire in the woodstove tonight. It felt so good.


Beautiful.

1 comment:

meela said...

Yes, the campfire is the best part!

My husband built our first fire this past weekend too! I love fall.