Monday, September 22, 2008

Kitchen Tip Tuesday: Fruit Fly Trap!

It's that time of year!

The tiny creatures that plot and scheme to drive me batty are back.

I find this little trap made from everyday household items does help in combating them. Put some vinegar in a bowl and cover it with plastic wrap. Seal the sides well, then take a knife and poke some small holes on top.

I have a lot of vinegar around right now because I'm canning pickles. A perfect example of using what you have. Simple. Non-toxic (to us) and easy to clean up.



They are attracted to the smell of the vinegar and can find a way in but for some reason can't find their way back out.

Must be their tiny brains!

One other thing I have noticed that helps is pouring a sink full of soapy bubbles at night. Oftentimes, I notice in the morning there are many dead flies that have been caught in the bubbles.
Kate said to put a touch of soap on your finger and touch the vinegar with it. The soap in the vinegar breaks the surface tension and causes the flies to drowned when they land on the vinegar. That way they can't fly out of the bowl even if they could find the way through a hole. (Thanks Kate!)

Check out Tammy's Recipes for many other kitchen tips!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Idea, I have been battling these little boogers and mosquito's for the past few days.

Debra said...

They are pesky little fellows aren't they!

Hope this helps. I have acquired quite a few in my bowl so far.

Kate said...

Something else that helps is to put a touch of soap on your finger and touch the vinegar with it. The soap in the vinegar breaks the surface tension and causes the flies to drowned when they land on the vinegar. That way they can't fly out of the bowl even if they could find the way through a hole