Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Fast, fresh flax meal

I try to use flax meal often at our house. I like to put it in fruit smoothies, muffins or baked goods. I have even been know to just add to water and chug.

Hey, us Mamas are busy! We've got to stay healthy on the go!

If you don't know why it's good to include flax meal in your diet and would like to, here's a link to get your started.



Okay, now for the good stuff. The How-To!

It's easy to make your own flax meal. First, buy flax seeds, usually in bulk. I like the golden flax seeds, then I use my little coffee grinder to grind them.



Here you can see the ground meal.


I transfer the flax meal into a quart mason jar.

By the way, if you don't have a funnel like this...GET ONE! I love it.

This jar lives in the refrigerator. Once you grind the flax seeds into meal, they need to be refrigerated to keep them from going rancid. This is because the oils have been exposed, this also means your body can use the oils in the flax seeds now.


Here is flax meal safely home...in the refrigerator next to the mustard.


Here it is going in a fruit smoothie.

Simple!

For other kitchen tips go to Tammy's Recipes.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Hey Debra, I also have a recipe for using flax as an egg replacer if you are interested.

Kelly

Extraordinary Ordinary Life said...

I like the information. I am always wanting to try flax seed but I haven't yet. Thank you!

6intow said...

Great pictures and descriptions. I do thing similarly, love my flax. I use it in place of oil in all my baked goods as well. It shows up in everything!
~Erin