Sunday, December 21, 2008

Electric station

I offer you my son's electricity workshop. He's been messing around with this the last few days. He pulled it out of the shop where it had been sitting since the last time they messed with it. My husband bought a bunch of stuff a few years ago at Lowe's for them to experiment with. Since then my son has added other found objects to his collection.

Yesterday he found my dead Sonicare toothbrush in the bathroom garbage and asked if he could take it apart.

This is the music 'thingy' that went to a little Christmas snowman decoration. You wound him up and then the music would play. He took that apart and found this interesting piece. It's not electrical, just mechanical.

He told me "This is what Walking in a winter wonderland (song) looks like."

Learning and living is usually messy (around here). In the background is an open Bible from reading today's Proverbs, my secret knitting project (shhhh) and little sister's pretend food beads.

We found Proverbs 21:1 particularly interesting today.

Assembling your own little kit has got to be much cheaper and WAAAAY better than a little cheapy-plastic-fake-o one at the local toy store.

I guess it needs to be said that if the TV was on, my children would most likely NOT be interested in figuring out how electricity works.

Boredom and quietness are essential to learning. They are also key to creating producers rather than consumers who live to be amused in front of the brightly-lit box.

At least I think so.

I wonder if Leonardo DaVinci would've become such a great artist if he could've spent his every free moment downloading visual and mental information, never having time to think or formulate his own thoughts?

I wonder?

I think they learn more things when they figure it out themselves.

Just give them the tools and let THEM become the experts.

(Of course, with proper supervision from Papa and Mama, so nobody gets hurt. Safety first!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are such an inspiration, Debra.

Anonymous said...

Also, I need to comment about the Bible verse. What a great comfort. You know, it should be something I remember all the time, but sometimes I worry needlessly. God has it in control. Every time you read about a king (or leader) in the Bible, God was the one who was active in changing his heart or hardening his heart. It is God who is control, not us, and we can safely trust that God knows what He is doing.