Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Fresh pesto

When you find the basil in your garden (or at your local farmer's market) is ready for picking, you know it's time to make yourself some fresh pesto.



It's best if you have a food processor, but I don't so I did it the old-fashioned way.

Lots of chopping.





Chunky style is tasty too!







Pesto

2 c. packed basil leaves
3 cloves garlic
½ c. olive oil
1/3 c. walnuts or pine nuts
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
½ c. parmesan if not going to freeze


Chop all the ingredients and mix. Freeze in small containers or ice cube trays.


BONUS TIP: In order to keep your pesto fresh pour some olive oil over the top. Once it's in the refrigerator it hardens over and creates a seal over the top.

That's a bonus tip from my Aunt Avis, who kept a big bowl of pesto in her fridge that way all year. She dips out what she wants and pours a little more oil over the top.




After you finish your pesto, haul the kids to the county fair.

Collect free balloons.



What are these?



This is my nephew's steer, Ed. He is very gentle so I went in for a close up.

His barn mates thought I was crowding their space.

Maybe they smelled the basil?


Go to Tammy's Recipes for more Kitchen Tips.

2 comments:

meela said...

yummy!

I just bought some at the store today. Maybe next time I will try your recipe.

Debra said...

It's really good Meela.

What did you do with your basil?

How are your chicks doing?