Monday, June 23, 2008

Pulled Beef Sandwich

I made these for dinner last night. They were delicious!

I thought as long as I was going, I'd take pictures and bring you along with me.

This recipe comes from my Aunt Avis. She made this at our last family gathering . She made Pulled Pork and served them with split buns. They were in a crock pot and people could just walk through, grab a roll, fix themselves a yummy sandwich. It was great! This also works for potlucks, I made this for our last church potluck and I can tell you that I brought home an empty crockpot.




I pulled this baby out of our freezer. Chuck roast. You could also use pork shoulder roast. Chances are, any big hunk of meat will do. About 4 lbs.

Take the paper off and put this in the crock pot. I had to cut mine into a few pieces to make it fit.

Slice one onion. put half down on bottom of crockpot, then meat, then top with remaining onion slices. Add one and a half cups of water. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or 4-5 hours on high.



Here's what it looks like after it cooks. Take it out of the crockpot and put in pan to cool a little. The recipe says to drain the liquid in the crockpot, but I strained it and made gravy.



Here is the dinner I made with the juice. I made gravy and shredded some of the meat. This meaty gravy was served over rice.



Okay, back to the originally scheduled program. Now that the meat is cooled a little (so it doesn't scorch you) grab a couple of forks and start 'pulling'. Shred the meat, you just gently scrape the meat with the fork.



I'm done here, the shredded beef is back in the crockpot (no liquid).

I had the pan I was working from, my plate with the good meat, a bowl for Jack scraps and one to throw away.


You can't tell from the picture, but the one I threw away was mostly all fat. I just couldn't give all of that to Jack.




Here is the pulled meat before cooking a second time in the crockpot.





Now place meat back in crockpot with 1 bottle of barbecue sauce and 1 chopped onion. Cover and cook on low for a few hours more.

I didn't add the whole bottle, sometimes it's just too much sauce. And you have to watch it, without much liquid the crockpot can really cook the meat too much, so watch yours and stir occasionally.




We decided to have dinner outside under our colorful umbrella at the picnic table.




Wha-la! We did it! Pulled Beef Sandwich!





Let's try it shall we?





Oh yeah!!!!!






The Asian pears watched. They are still babies. We'll wait for you to grow, then we'll have you some night at dinner.






Crockpot Pulled Beef

Beef roast, about 4 lbs.
2 med onions
1 1/2 cups water
1 bottle (16 oz) barbecue sauce
1 cup chopped onion


Place half of the sliced onions in bottom of crockpot, add pork and water, top with remaining onion slices. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, or 4-5 hours on high.

Remove meat and shred. Drain liquid (or strain and make gravy) from crock pot, place meat back in cooker. Add barbecue sauce and chopped onion. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours longer, stirring occasionally. Serve with warm split buns.

3 comments:

Kimi Harris said...

Yum! That looks wonderful! I can't have any of the bottled products in the store (dietary issues), but I can easily make my own sauce. What a wonderful and easy idea! I like how you saved your drippings for another meal as well. Wonderful.

Debra said...

Kimi,

It was good. I'm sure you could come up with some sort of 'nourishing' alternative sauce. And if you do, I'd love to know what you come up with!

Momzoo said...

ok, I am hungry now, that is so going on my next menu!