Monday, June 02, 2008

A day of harvest


Today the kids and I picked strawberries at a local U-pick place. They were $1.25 a pound. We picked quite a bit and by the time we pulled our wagon up to the cashier we had picked $38 dollars worth! Oops. Oh well, I made some freezer jam today and will freeze the rest.




We had our first home-grown chicken for dinner. It was the biggest one of the bunch (8.5 lbs) that we figured must have been one of the roosters (there were 2). We were wondering if it was going to be tough, but it was wonderful!
It was a great feeling to sit down to a meal that we grew. Knowing what care we had taken to produce the end result. We all were smiling at each other with pride, except for T3, she is blissfully unaware of where the white chickens have gone.

One of T1's layers started crowing last week. Here he is, a beautiful Barred Rock rooster snuck into the bunch. My son sold him yesterday for a whopping $5.00!
I was sad to see him go. It was really cute to hear him crow, he is still getting hair under his arms and his crow was funny/cute. But I think we have another rooster, a Rhode Island Red that my son is going to keep around for a while at least.

No comments: