Monday, May 05, 2008

Klean water bottles

Here is our new collection of water bottles so far. We recycled the old Nalgene #7 containers with their nasty BPAs. But restocking your stash with a healthy alternative is expensive! My friend uses these glass bottles from Nantucket Nectars. They are a good size and an inexpensive stand in while you build you collection at $1.39 a piece.

I was tempted by the Sigg waterbottles, they have so many beautiful colors and patterns, but they are made with aluminum. There is a possible link between aluminum and Alzheimer's disease. Five population studies now link Alzheimer's disease to aluminum in drinking water.

Also, Sigg isn't forthcoming in whether they use BPA in the lining of their bottles, so we decided to go with the simplicity and safety of Klean Kanteen's Stainless steel bottles. They also have a cute 12oz bottle designed for small hands that comes with a sippy adapter.


I also got rid of most of the plastic storage containers that we kept leftovers in the refrigerator with these glass ones. I need to find some large containers, those are the plastic ones that I haven't gotten rid of yet, but I am on the lookout.


Have you started to make the switch away from plastics? What have you found helpful?

3 comments:

Megan@SortaCrunchy said...

Okay, we are about to make the big no plastic switch, and I haven't been able to decide between Kleen Kanteens and SIGGs, but after reading this, I think I am going with KK! What a GREAT idea to reuse glass beverage bottles in the meantime. Perfect!

Thanks for posting this.

Debra said...

So glad to help Megan!

I still need to find some large glass storage containers for hot leftovers.

Interesting about OCM. I need to read more on it another night. Sounds interesting.

I keep track of you on Bloglines so will see you on your next post.
Thanks for stopping by.

Anonymous said...

Canning jars work great in our home! We use half-pint, pint, and quart jars to store food. They wash up easily, too. And they stack!