Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Birthday tea for T3

Our Treasure #3




The day began with the usual "one present opened on Papa and Mama's bed while still in pajamas". Unfortunately, Papa usually misses this tradition because he is at work. Sorry Papa. She had fun with her tea set. We all pretended to have tea on the bed.
My oldest son actually had the idea to have a tea party for her birthday while we were having tea on the bed. I thought it was a great idea.



Later she and I went to get the mail. It's a short walk to the mailbox and was chilly enough to need a jacket. She is good at throwing on her pink coat and trusty yellow boots. They (the boots) have served her well. Easy to put on, will go through puddles and they look super cute with anything, even striped pants under a dress!



She examines the mail as she walks leisurely back to the house. Is she three or thirty?



I have put the mail key on a long braid of red yarn so that in case any little (or big) people drop it on the way to or from the mailbox, we have some chance of finding it.




She helped Grandma make shortbread cookies for her Tea Party. It was the sweetest thing. She loved it so much. She said things like, "I love making cookies with you Grandma. This is fun." She would grab a blob of leftover dough and say, "I'm going to pop this into the oven." and then she would pop it into her mouth and eat it.

Who needs to spend money on plastic gifts that will clutter up the house. Spending an afternoon making cookies is a great present any child would love.





While they rolled out cookies at one end of the table, I sat at the other end and worked on the annual birthday crown.


My sister brought this perfect tea set to the party. My parents brought their electric ice cream maker. We used fresh strawberries and made homemade strawberry ice cream. Can you imagine?




Tea sets ready for action.




In the opening ceremony, Papa put her very special birthday crown on.



Last year I had her wear a very fluffy dress I found at the thrift store. It was fun to have her in something extraordinary for her birthday. This year she wore the very dress her cousin (my niece) wore as the flower girl in our wedding.



After the presents were opened the guests moved to the dining area for cake, homemade strawberry ice cream, shortbread cookies, tea and coffee. And I am happy to report that nothing upset the dignity and repose of the tea party.




5 comments:

Kevin Flick said...

how sweet. so sweet! a birthday she will always remember, i'm sure. :) love, love, love the baby picture of your daughter. beautiful!

Debra said...

Thanks, it was so sweet to watch her. And if she doesn't remember, we have *plenty* of pictures to remind her.

I LOVE that picture of her too. They grow so fast!

Anonymous said...

That cake looks so yummy. And the ice cream....... Wish we were there! Love you,
kari

Debra said...

Kari,

We wish you all could have been here too! I made the frosting that mom used to make on the rocking horse cake, remember?

The ice cream was THE BEST! Plus the shortbread cookies with coffee...so good!

Don't you love how she is holding her little cup of tea?

Miss you!

Anonymous said...

Debra, this is so sweet. Makes me wish my girls were little so I could start this back then.
Melanie V