Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The seabrights: All grown up

Well, we named the seabrights Mr. and Mrs. Cann (not Tweedledee and Tweedledum) after the canary called "King Cann" in a child's story book Elmer and the Dragon. Our Mr. Cann is so small and he just seems like the King Cann from the book, so small and so proud.

We enjoy watching them out in the grass. They always stay together, they stroll around side by side. They watch out for each other. If we hold one, it's best to hold them together otherwise they are nervous. Mrs. Cann is definitely more uptight than Mr. Cann.

As you can see in the photo above, he can relax. If you hold him for a bit and sit still he will close his eyes and just enjoy the rest. This photo was taken in our dining room. Sometimes as a treat, after my son lets the chickens out in the morning he'll bring someone to the door for a visit. Usually, either my daughter or I will gladly scoop them up and have a little moment holding them. Then when it's over, I open the french doors and toss them out and they fly like birds for awhile.

Here you can see the adorable egg my son found laid by Mrs. Cann.
So cute!

Thinking it was the first of many to come I carelessly fried it. But since then we've only been able to find one more. I don't know where she lays them. They are so small and probably have their own special hiding place.

We love them so much. They are adorable and so much fun to hold.

They stick together like all good couples.

I hope they will survive another year at least. Sounds harsh I know but I've learned...between the owls and the coyotes you just have to appreciate them today and be prepared for what tragedy might befall them.

No comments: