Monday, May 11, 2009

Livin' the dream

Today was D-Day for this batch of chickens. They went to 'market' so to speak.



My husband takes them to a local gentleman who processes the chickens professionally. He sees A LOT of chickens. The boys told me with pride that as soon as he saw our chickens he raved about how good they looked.

They were healthy and clean. Many times these chickens are raised in confinement and just look bad.


Somehow I don't think this is the life these factory chickens were hoping for.



It was sad for me. I really liked these chickens. They were friendly and cute. But we have to think rationally. We eat chicken, whether we raise them and butcher them or not.

They lived a GREAT chicken life, much better than the factory chickens that I have eaten more times that I'd care to think about.




Awww...poor babies.

Actually, I think these are the chickens that commercial eggs come from.




This is what our egg layers do all day. Here are the meat chickens free ranging out with them.




One last thing I wanted to share...The laying chickens LOVE the meatbird feed for some reason. One day our youngest son was playing with an old feed bag on a shovel. Walking around like it was a flag. He found that this completely terrified MoonRooster, who is the little nemesis of this son.

This son figured out how to keep the laying chickens away from the meatbird feeder by placing his 'scarecrow' next to it. The meatbirds were oblivious to it and it kept the layers away.

Pretty ingenious I'd say.

No comments: